In 2016, we were hired by a superintendent new to a Golf & Disc Golf Course that wanted to utilize our expertise in transitioning and maintaining their assets. In total, they were responsible for managing 18 disc golf and 27 golf holes.
We used high accuracy GPS and a collector to capture:
- Location, manufacturer, and zone for every sprinkler, valve, and controller
- Area and location of greens and fairways
Additionally, we completed aerial surveys with a drone to capture imagery and video for both marketing and analysis purposes.
Regular analysis of the data collected has been making a big impact:
- By demonstrating the size of the asset inventory at the golf course, the super was able to justify a request to his superiors for additional funding.
- With accurate area measurements, adequate fertilizer can be purchased without having to worry about over/under estimations and waste.
- Imagery analysis from regular flights over the golf course can be used to reveal plant health before it is visible to the naked eye.
Cartography & Mapping
The data collected at the golf course has made it possible to create maps for a wide range of uses.
- Ad hoc custom maps are created to help field workers identify sprinklers associated with specific controllers and zones.
- Fairway, tee, and greens data have been used to create new hole signs for the entire course.